Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What Christmas is all about.

I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of the year. The guys that I work with give me all kinds of grief because I start singing and whistling carols just before Halloween (who would guess that a metal shop would'nt be rife with yuletide cheer?). All the songs and the lights and even a few presents are nice, but by themselves it's all kind of empty.
My mind has been filled over the last few days with the the true trappings of Christmas: Jesus and his coming to earth, not just to be a good example or to teach us but the fact that GOD HIMSELF put on flesh and came to earth in the most humble way so that we could have a relationship with him.
Jesus came from Galilee which was a reigion of Judea that was thought to be low-class, he came to poor people who couldn't even afford a lamb for the purification rituals of the first-born child, he was born in a stable because there was nowhere for his parents to lodge for the night and his first bed was a feeding trough.
But he came to save the world. His birth was the beginning of a 33 year journey that was headed for the cross. That was the only reason he was born- to die, for you and for me. The penalty for sin is death and Jesus paid it.
Have you ever got a gift that was just, exaclty what you needed? You did on that first Christmas, so why not unwrap it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Ray! As much focus is put on Santa Claus(a made-up figure),a Christmas tree(a tree),and Christmas lights(a pain to put up, and makes your electric bill higher), it's all irrelevant. That is when you compare it to what Christmas is all about, Jesus Christ(OUR SAVIOR).

Blair Bunch said...

Santa isn't real?

Anonymous said...

He is about as real as Casey's wrestling team.

Blair Bunch said...

Now I'm going to return that brand new bass boat I got you for christmas...

Anonymous said...

That's all right. I guess I will have to find someone who can use all this Stampin Up\Longaberger stuff I had picked out for you, buddy!

Blair Bunch said...

O' Blease...